- Published on April 20, 2014Please click on this link to stream or download the audio: www.truth-out.org Updates on how inequality persists across generations, the nonsense of “taxes are job killers”, governor uses tax revenues to prevent unionization in a private enterprise. Major discussion of state and local taxes in the US, the economics of paying executives very high incomes, and the privatization of public services. Response to listener’s question on recent Medicare report on oversize payouts to doctors.
- Published on April 13, 2014
Please click on the link to stream or download the radio show: www.truth-out.org
Updates on O'Reilly vs de Blasio, Greek bonds, millions for Detroit's athletes, and who pays federal taxes. Interview with Nomi Prins, ex-Goldman Sachs banker, on new book All the Presidents' Bankers.Response to listener on where and why Congress refuses to act (taxing rich, helping poor, reducing inequality, etc.) despite US poll results showing big majorities supporting those actions.
- Published on April 6, 2014Please click on the link to stream or download the show: www.truth-out.org Updates on Supreme Court McCutcheon decision on campaign financing, global meaning of French municipal elections, special impacts on women of raising minimum wages, and corporations' cash hoards cause unemployment and cut government services. Interview with Vanessa Bransburg who supports and builds successful worker coops in Brooklyn, New York. Response to listener on scarcity and its economic effects.
- Published on March 30, 2014
Please click on this link to stream or download this week's broadcast: www.truth-out.org
- Published on March 25, 2014
Please click on this link to stream or download this week’s show: Truth-out.org
- Published on March 16, 2014
Please click on this link to stream or download this week's program: Truthout.org
Updates on the General Motors recall scandal; corporations' push for secret courts; the economics of marijuana; Radio Shack closings; and US workers leaving the labor force. Major discussions of the history and basics of the criticism of capitalism, and billionaires and extreme inequality as products of capitalism.
- Published on March 9, 2014
Please click on the link to stream or download the audio of this week's show: Truth-out.org
- Published on March 2, 2014Updates on Delta Airlines changes, US millionaires in office, irrational student debt, and Rupert Murdoch's wealth. Major discussions of monopoly and competition in media industry, public employee pension economics, and Obama's economic significance.
- Published on February 23, 2014
Please click on this link to listen to the program: http://www.truth-out.org
Updates on Olympics, Chicago university faculty strike, Chevron's contempt, Gallup poll on unemployment, rising consumer debt again, Europeans oppose privatization of water, and US adults marry less to cope with economy. Major discussions: how Soviet socialism actually worked and decline and inadequacy of pensions in US. Response to listeners on deflation in today's world economy.
- Published on February 16, 2014
Updates on polls showing most Americans want less inequality, why Tea Party types fixate on government debt, and why French and other far right parties gain support. Major discussion on US business recognizing death of middle class, the contradictions of Germany's position within Europe's economic crisis, and Part 1 of analysis of what USSR was. Response to listeners on why official unemployment targets are 4-6.5 % rather than feasible and better 0-0.5 %
Please click on the link to listen to the program: www.truthout.org
- Published on February 9, 2014
Updates on economic democracy from Jackson, MS to Marseilles, France; credit card scandals; phony labels for chicken; and overcharging inmates for calls. Major discussions of re-municipalization of water and electric utilities; post office banking; and new book on capitalism's inequalities. Response to audience questions on TPP, corp tax breaks and minimum wage.
Click on the link to listen to audio: http://bit.ly/1fQvbnk
Economic Update is in partnership with Truthout.org