- Published on April 2, 2012AUDIO
Richard Wolff is respected for his critical thinking and ability to explain economics to the rest of us. Peter Collins and Richard Wolff talk about the origins of our current problems, the political blame game, and how Americans bypass the true culprits. They talk about Apple’s $100 billion cash stash, most of which is stashed offshore awaiting tax breaks that won’t produce jobs as they claim. Richard Wolff responds to Romney’s claims that regulations stifle business and job growth, and offers interesting comments about Columbia Prof.
- Published on April 1, 2012AUDIOUpdates discussed pay for Ford's CEO Alan Mulally compared to Ford hourly wages as low as $15; US Treasury's ongoing subsidies to 350 banks; Brazilian President criticizes US monetary policy; and why mass transit is best response to high gas prices. Major analyses of (1) "market solutions" versus other ways of dealing with situations where supplies are less than demand such as college courses, food, and housing, and (2) the extreme austerity policies of Greece and Spain arriving here in the Republican's proposed budget plan.
- Published on March 29, 2012AUDIO
Richard Wolff appears on KGNU radio with Jim Banks and speaks on healthcare. Issues such as lives lost due to financial strains, healthcare in other parts of the country, some of the context of the healthcare proposition by President Obama, and other political problems are touched upon.
- Published on March 28, 2012AUDIO
On March 18, the Left Forum in New York hosted a panel to explore economic alternatives to capitalism, with Gar Alperovitz, author of America Beyond Capitalism , and David Schweickart, professor of philosophy at Loyola University in Chicago and author of After Capitalism.
A thank you to Gar Alperovitz for this audio.
- Published on March 25, 2012AUDIOUpdates on economic problems of law students and new lawyers; federal prison industries; high schoolers fighting school budget cuts successfully; Italy's unemployment; and states' pension "reforms". Detailed analysis of US health system: highest costs plus poor health outcomes = failures of capitalist health system.
On the Economy with 88.5fm WMNF Community Radio
Click on play button on this link to listen to the audio file.
Friday (3/9/12), the federal Labor Department reported that in February the nation’s unemployment rate remained flat---at 8.3 percent—it was the first time since last August that the jobless rate did not drop.
The economy added 227,000 jobs. With manufacturing adding 31,000 jobs and temporary employment rising with 45,000 jobs. The report also showed that December and January added 61,000 more jobs than originally estimated.
- Published on March 18, 2012AUDIOMichael Moore's 2012 Left Forum speech, delivered Saturday, March 17, at Pace University in New York City. Features introduction by Marxist economist Richard Wolff. Of note, Moore rallies attendees at the end to march to and reoccupy Zuccotti Park.
- Published on March 18, 2012AUDIO
Renowned economics professor Richard Wolff discusses the collapse of capitalism, Roosevelt’s action during the Great Depression and measures to stabilize our economy. And austerity in Greece, projections for what’s ahead. In the better half, Goldman Sachs resignation rats out corporate practices and your calls and IMs.
- Published on March 17, 2012VIDEO
Professor Wolff's lecture:
Video of full event:
Question and Answer: